Sunday, May 21, 2006

Change for a finger

I had to cash a check, so I went to a "micro-bank" bearing the name of my selected banking institution. Chase(formally Bank One) to be more specific. In case you're not familiar with what I call "micro-banks," they're tiny little satellite banks spread out over an urban environment. Think of them as a Starbucks version of a traditional bank.

The relationship between the bank and the customer seems to have changed over the years, or maybe it's because I came from a small town. Since the check was drawn from an account from the same bank I decided to try and get the check cashed without going through the whole personal bank account bullshit, thinking they would just cash the check. First, the bank teller asked for 2 forms of picture identification which was acceptable to me, but then the teller slid a small ink pad under the protective glass and asked for a fingerprint. I laughed, then I told the teller that I would like my check back. I asked the teller if he realized how ridiculous it was asking me for a fingerprint. Surprisingly the teller agreed with me. The person next in line thought it was funny too.

I find it very humorous how far the Federal Reserve (privately owned, independent from government), U.S. government, and financial institutions will go to protect ink-covered paper that has NO intrinsic value (fiat money). Meaning today's United States currency is no longer backed by silver or gold. What is the value difference between counterfeit and "officially" ordained money? Nothing!

It seems to me that the only reason paper money, debit cards, and credit cards are still used is people's belief in this system. Magic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home