Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Root canals -- Part 1



Just got back home from the dentist's office. I had the pleasure of undergoing 2 root canals in one sitting. This was my first experience with the procedure. I had heard many painful stories from people that had been through the it, so I wasn't exactly thrilled to have it performed on me -- twice!

I sat reclined in the chair patiently waiting for the horrendous pain described by others to overcome me, but it was in fact pretty painless. The good dentist numbed my gums frequently for my comfort. There was only one instance where I was surprised by the sudden burst of pain, and nearly came out of the chair.

Now I have to wait for the second part of the procedure, having my teeth molded for crowns. Since my new insurance has a waiting period(one year!) before covering any "major" dental work I have to save some money(second job?) to cover the cost of the crowns. Which happen to be an extremely affordable price of $812(!) per crown. I need two of them.

A little history on my teeth:

When I was around six years old, I had to have my two front teeth extracted because they were abscessed. The dentist responsible for that did not put in inserts to insure my secondary teeth their rightful place. Because of that I was blessed with buck teeth.

I should have had braces long ago, but I tried to save my parents some money and didn't want to go through the whole braces thing. But in retrospect I was a fool because now I have many issues with my teeth that are going to cost A LOT more to correct.

The local anesthetic is beginning to wear off now and I need to go get some ibuprofen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home