Monday, May 29, 2006

Don't Be Square!

theWife and I have been talking a lot lately about buying/building our first home. And we came to the conclusion that we are going to buy some land in a rural area surrounded by the woods and build one of these bad-boys -- a geodesic dome home (mad props to you, Mr. Fuller).

I've wanted to live in one of these for a long time. The idea of living in a conventional home, or box, never really moved me. But the geodesic dome shape stirs my soul.

Turns out you can by these as a kit and supposedly build most of the structure yourself. The idea of building something like this myself also stirs my soul. I'm a very hands-on sort of person and building my dream house with my wife will be a wonderful experience. It took some of the people who built theirs around 3 years to build; working mostly weekends only. Here is a neat blog detailing the building of a dome home.

Since we will be building a home from scratch it will be much easier to implement self-sustaining, energy efficient features, versus trying to retrofit an existing home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home